Story Workshop

What is story workshop?

Story workshop is a Reggio inspired way of teaching literacy and language through play. It gives children choice and a voice. A few years ago I attended the Kindergarten Conference put on by the Langley School District and I attended a workshop on story workshop. Seeing the power in such a different way of teaching literacy and language, I had begun to explore this concept further. Lucky for me, a few teachers in my school district had implement story workshop in their classrooms, so I was able to attend a Professional Development workshop during one of our curriculum implementation days several years ago. There is a link to the video down below in resources that was created by the Surrey School District and visits the same classroom I had the privilege of visiting and learning from.  Armed with new information and inspiration, I along with 2 other colleagues decided to try story workshop in our classrooms. We supported each other through this inquiry and learning journey, tweaking things along the way that we felt best suited our learners. Story workshop has been a part of my classroom for 3 years now and it is a powerful way to teach literacy, story telling and language.





Story workshop allows learners to explore, create and connect their ideas through play! It is an authentic experience that allows children to explore, imagine and connect with story. It honours the Universal Design for Learning platform that meets the needs of the diverse learners in the classroom. It is a flexible structure and a way of "doing" writing and oral storytelling. Students are able to see themselves as authors and there is no lack of imagination through this playful inquiry.


Story workshop is done once to twice weekly in my classroom. Provocations are set on each table, each with a different theme. Each table is set up with a story mat and story props such as small figurines, loose parts or other objects. I have collected loose parts over the years such as gems, rocks, lids from the applesauce squeeze packs, popsicle sticks, keys, buttons, glass beads, little mirrors, wooden rings, lids from a variety of sources such as milk jugs, jam jars, etc. I have collected small world items from the dollar store or Michaels and even the thrift store. I have dinosaurs, jungle animals, farm animals, frogs, snakes, insects, forest animals, butterflies, ladybugs, ocean animals, to name a few. For people, I have purchased wooden peg dolls in a variety of sizes. I have grass mats, felt mats, place mats and laminated construction paper for story mats. I have made little felt trees, trees out of cork, use natural materials such a branches or pine cones. The possibilities are endless



Story workshop begins with the teacher modelling story telling. The students then choose a table that they feel inspires a story.  Lots of time is given tp play with the materials and to share their stories with their table mates, any adults in the room and to the teacher. There is always a buzz of energy in the room as stories come alive! During story workshop the teacher can record several stories. After, the stories are shared on the projector. Every week, a different set of students share their stories with the rest of the class. 


There is a focus on vocabulary; naming the objects on the story mats, literary elements; the characters, the setting, action. Brainstorming story starters, endings and WOW words add details to the stories, all done orally. The children LOVE to share their stories and are given opportunities to reflect on what they are proud of and how they can change their stories or improve on them. 

As the students progress in story workshop, learning targets are written up on the whiteboard so they know what the learning goal for that session might be. Some learning goals are: “I can tell my story” “ I can use a story starter” “ I can share my story using a clear speaking voice” “I can add WOW words to my story”

Mini-lessons are taught or a certain story element is modelled before story workshop based on the needs of the classroom. In addition, read alouds are used to support story workshop.  There are many fabulous read-aloud to support story workshop, please see the following document: Story workshop Professional Development Day session by Kelly Shuto and Carile Oyenhart

How is our new BC Curriculum is supported through story workshop?


Big Idea:
Everyone has a unique story to share

Curricular Competencies:

Recognize the importance of story in personal, family and community identity
Explore oral story telling processes
Recognize the structure and elements of story

Content:
Structure of story
Oral language strategies

Learning Intentions:
I can create a story with my own ideas that tells about myself, my family or my community
I can create a story using my imagination
I can explore story telling using props, words and different expressions to share my thinking

Big Idea:
Through listening and speaking, we connect with others and share our world
Playing with language helps us discover how language works

Curricular Competencies:

Exchange ideas and perspectives to build shared understanding

Use language to identify, create, and share ideas, feelings, opinions, and preferences
Explore oral storytelling processes

Learning Intentions:

I can tell a story
I can share my feelings
I can use words to express my ideas

Assessment Entry Points:

Does the story make sense in terms of structure and elements?
Is the child using descriptive language and expression to elaborate or clarify ideas?
Is the child sharing ideas and perspectives?
Is the child using language in a way that conveys the intended message?

Resources:

An article and video created by the Surrey School District explaining how story workshop supports our new curriculum, the First People's Principal of Learning and the Core Competencies.

What's Next for This Beginning Writer  Written by one of my Faculty Advisors, Janine Reid, it's fabulous resource in guiding writing with early learners.

 Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling




Why "Story workshop" is not a "re-telling someone else's story" workshop - a fabulous read by Opal School.

Why Story workshop? Blog post by Opal School

Another great article written by Helen Takhar, a Masters candidate from the University of Victoria

Darla Meyer's Story workshop

Video: Story Provocation by Opal School

Video: Story Presentation by Opal School

Video: Story Creation by Opal School

Video: Story Congress by Opal School

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts